Turn Your Living Room into a Dreamy Home Oasis
Your living room is a focal point of your home and should be a space that you absolutely love! Whether you’re hosting game night, having drinks with company, or simply watching a movie with your family, your living room is likely one of the most used rooms within your home and should be a space that you are proud to show off. If your living room is no longer up to par with your lifestyle, we’ve got you covered. Our team can help you remodel your living room and turn it into a dreamy home oasis that you’ll never want to leave. Here’s some inspiration to get you started!
1) Expand Your Space
Open floor plans have become a dominant trend in new residential homes, and paired with the need for more space, homeowners are actively seeking living rooms that offer a large and open concept. If your living room is adjoined to another room within your home, consider removing the wall between the two with the living room flowing and expanding directly into the extra room. This will create an open concept and a much larger space for you to furnish and decorate your living room. When expanding your living room, it’s important to ensure that the wall is not load bearing and that all secured permits are in place. Our team of experts can help you determine the proper living room expansion for your home.
2) Light Up Your Living Room with New Windows
Your living room should be a place of light and comfort, and the best way to stimulate that feeling is with natural sunlight streaming into the room. Older homes often have dull windows that lack light transmittal, which instill a dark and mundane atmosphere within the living room. Bring your living room back to life by installing new and modern windows that will increase the amount of natural illumination within your home, and in turn, brighten up and enlarge your space. Additionally, new weathertight windows will allow for you to save on energy expenses, as well as elevate the overall look of your living room.
3) Perfect Your Colour Palette
With so much time spent within your living room, the colour scheme is an important element that you should perfect. Take inventory of your living room, determine your three favourite colours/shades, and assemble and decorate your space according to your colour palette. If you are seeking a more modern and sophisticated design, a simpler palette will help you accomplish this look. White, grey, beige, and neutral colours tend to be the most popular within new residential homes as they create a modern and mature feel. Brown, gold, and earthy red and orange tones create a bold and attention-capturing design, and various shades of blue instill calm yet dramatic effects. So, establish a consistent colour palette that correlates with the design and feel you hope to achieve, and you’ll be surprised at how significantly your living room will be enhanced.
4) Create Faux Extra Space
Smaller spaces can be designed to create the illusion of a larger space with the following techniques:
- Ceiling: Paint your ceiling white to instill new, stylish heights and avoid a claustrophobic feel.
- Area Rug: Make sure your area rug is big enough. Find a rug that allows between 10 to 20 inches of bare floor space between the edges of the rug and the wall.
- Shelves: Mount your shelves high and towards the ceiling to pull the eye upwards.
- Storage: Install storage units that hug close to the wall. Putting your extra items in storage space that is out of sight will ensure a cleaner and larger feel of the room.
- Statement Piece: A colourful or bold statement piece like a chandelier, painting, or unique mirror will capture the eye and make the space feel larger.
5) Freshen Up Your Furniture
Your furniture plays a major role in the overall look of your living room, so freshen up your furniture with the following techniques:
- Paint or Stain Old Furniture: If you have a piece of furniture that has seen better days such as a coffee table or cabinet, update it with a stain or fresh coat of paint. A high-gloss paint is great for contemporary spaces, whereas a distressed treatment will create a more rustic look.
- Purchase Bold Pieces: You can never go wrong with adding a pop of colour to your living room. If your walls are a light or neutral colour, you can make a huge impact with statement pieces of furniture such as a velvet sofa or a colourful coffee table.
- Mix and Match: Once you have perfected your colour palette and included a few statement pieces within your design, feel free to mix and match your visuals. Having a few staple pieces that follow your colour palette consisting of different textures and materials will allow for a more lively look.
6) Rejuvenate Your Fireplace
Give your old, tired fireplace a second life with a fresh coat of paint. Red or orange brick colours often have an older look and can make an entire space feel dated. Shades of grey, black, or beige can transform your fireplace and create a fresh and modern design. And of course, a bright white fireplace will tie the whole space together.
7) Make Your Living Room "You"
Your living room should be a space that you love, so incorporate pieces of art or furniture that you particularly enjoy. This can include statement pieces that are not only eye-catching, but pieces that you are proud to have as a part of your home. The key is to bring in designs that reflect your personality and feel like home to you.
Trust Chart with Your Living Room Renovation
We hope this blog helped spark some inspiration for your next living room renovation. Here at CHART, our team can bring all of your living room renovations to life by building a dreamy home oasis that you can be proud of. Our designers are experts at integrating the unique styles of our clients with new and trending designs. We can give your living room a complete makeover, while still ensuring that it feels like home. You can trust CHART to keep your best interests in mind when recommending the best projects, materials, styles, layouts, and more. Whether you’re at the very beginning concept phase or already have some designs in mind, we’re here to get the job done for you with top-notch quality and craftsmanship. When beginning your home renovation projects, trust the Canadian Home and Renovation Team to make the right choices and help guide you through the process.
CHART is proud to be celebrating over 40 years as one of the most prestigious renovators in the Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph area. Contact us to begin preparing your home for renovations, home addition, or to get your custom home project started!