Home Improvement Projects That Add Value to Your Property
Whether you are purchasing a new house or deciding to renovate your current home, there are several home improvement projects that can increase the value of your property. Home renovations provide you with the opportunity to transform your home into a space that elevates your curb appeal, improves your home interior, and enhances your satisfaction with your home. Your renovations should not only reflect your wants and needs as a homeowner, but should also increase the return on investment of your home. Here are 6 home improvement projects along with transformation ideas that will stand the test of time and increase the overall value of your property!
1) Home Exterior / Landscaping
Love the space you come home to! Curb appeal is centered around creating an inviting property and highlighting the character of your home. Updating your home’s exterior is important for maintaining its structure, as well as increasing its overall value. From your entryway to your landscaping, there are many elements that play into elevating the look of your home. Here are some essentials for elevating your home’s exterior.
Curb Appeal Boosters:
- Elevate your entryway by adding accents such as planters, seating, and an inviting doormat.
- Paint or purchase a new front door to set the tone of your beautiful home.
- Upgrade your garage door with a bold and modern design. Your garage should complement your front door.
- Install new lighting in your entryway and around your garage.
- Add more privacy by installing an upgraded fence with a bright colour finish.
- Refresh your yard with a newly painted or replaced deck that will expand your space.
- New windows will transform both the interior and exterior of your home. As they allow natural light to shine through your home, they will not only brighten up your space, but will bring your home design to the next level.
- Spruce up your walkway with wooden planks or stone.
- Freshen up your lawn with new seeding or sod.
- Bring your space to life with planters and flower beds.
- Brighten up your space by replacing old mulch and planting new trees, plants, and flowers.
These improvement projects may seem simple, but they will give your home the clean and finished look that you have been striving for.
2) Kitchen Upgrade
The kitchen is the core of your home, so make it a space that lives up to your lifestyle. Whether you are cooking meals for your family, having guests over for drinks, or baking goods with your loved ones, your kitchen should be a space that you can indulge in. Whatever your layout may be, these upgrades will transform the look of your kitchen, as well as account for a significant increase in the value of your home. CHART can help you transform your space, so you can get back to loving your kitchen.
- Bring your backsplash back to life with new tiles that complement your home’s colour palette.
- Brighten up your space by upgrading your lighting and layering your light fixtures.
- It’s all in the details- upgrade your sink, faucet, and knobs to all complement one another.
- Reinvent your space with a new granite, quartz, or stone island and countertops.
- Transform your cabinetry with a fresh coat of paint or replace them with a durable, new set.
- Whether it be hardwood, vinyl, laminate, or stone tile, upgrade your flooring to give it a polished look.
- Upgrade your appliances to suit the needs of your family. Whether it is energy-efficient or high-end appliances, invest in new appliances that support the functionality of your home.
- If your kitchen isn’t quite big enough, expand your space to create a large open concept.
- You can never go wrong with new furniture! Transform your space with a new dining room set that will bring your whole kitchen together.
3) Bathroom Remodel
A bathroom remodel can do wonders in making your space feel clean, open, and perfect for your morning and night routines. Being strategic with your layout, organization, and design will make your bathroom feel much bigger and brighter, as well as create a more updated and modern look.
Here are some remodel projects that will level up your bathroom.
- Modernize your vanity to make a statement. Upgrading from a single to a double sink will not only give you more space, but will help you keep everything clean and organized. If you lack the space for a larger vanity, a compact powder room vanity or pedestal sink should be the perfect fit.
- Upgrade your backsplash, wall, and floor tiles to be practical yet trendy. Marble tile will create a natural, modern, and long-lasting design, while geometric patterns and shapes will create an intricate and visually appealing look.
- Install a new sink and faucet to complement the design of your bathroom. Waterfall faucets will turn your bathroom into a spa-like treatment, and the same goes for your shower head.
- You deserve a shower that you will enjoy. Frameless glass doors will create a bright and seamless look.
- Choose a new paint colour. Painting your bathroom white will create a spacious and airy feel, and adding light grey tones will add dimension to the room.
- It’s important that you feel comfortable in your bathroom, so upgrade your tiles and flooring. Subway tiles are a classic and timeless choice for your shower, while there are a plethora of tile options for your flooring. You may even want to consider heated flooring to keep you cozy and warm.
- Maximize your storage. Take advantage of wall space by mounting shelves to your walls and building a wall niche within your shower.
4) Finished Basement
A finished basement will not only increase the value of your home quite significantly, but it will also account for additional living space for your family to enjoy. Finishing your basement provides you with endless opportunities to customize your space to suit the exact wants and needs of your family. Here are some basement renovation ideas that are sure to please.
Basement Renovation Ideas:
- Build an extra bedroom for when you decide to grow your family, need to take care of a loved one, want to provide a comfortable space for your guests, or for extra storage space.
- Create a warm and welcoming family room with a cozy fireplace, a large sectional couch, and a TV area. You’ll never look back after building a killer entertainment area.
- Create an open concept with overhead lighting, and a comfortable and cozy rug or carpet.
- For those of you who love entertaining guests, a basement bar is a perfect option.
- Want to keep your children entertained while you exercise? Why not build a home gym with a play area right outside. You can keep your eyes on your children and break a sweat all at the same time.
- As you build additional rooms into your basement, you will definitely want a bathroom down there as well. That way, you will not only have an extra bathroom for your family to utilize, but you will save yourself from having to make trips upstairs when spending time in your basement.
- Basements are the perfect space for extra storage. Whether it be a storage room or just extra furniture that you can store your belongings in such as a chest or dresser, you will have lots of space to keep your home clean and organized.
5) Transform Unused Space
You may have an extra room or unused space just waiting to be used. Take advantage of this space and transform it into an area that caters to the needs of your family.
Turn Unused Space Into a:
- Home Office
- Guest Bedroom
- Game Room
- Home Gym
- Library or Study
- Pamper / Spa Room
- Second Living Area
- Laundry Room
6) Interior Design
Your interior design has a huge impact on the value of your home. When it comes to your colour palette, flooring, lighting, furniture, layout, etc., you have the ability to take your home to the next level. Interior design goes a long way, and as mentioned above, many of these upgrades will have a significant impact on the value of your home.
Interior Design Ideas:
- Choose your colour palette and give your walls a fresh coat of paint.
- Replace old windows with new, modern ones.
- Upgrade your lighting, tiles, and flooring.
- Swap out old knobs with bold, modern ones.
- Repaint your baseboards, ceiling, and doors.
As furniture and décor highly influence the look and value of your home, upgrade your furniture and décor to follow the theme and colour palette of your home. Anything from couches to cozy rugs, chandeliers, statement pieces, and paintings, will give your home the makeover you have been looking for. Don’t forget to include the things that make you happy. Your home is made for you, so go ahead and customize it exactly as you please.
We understand that giving your home a major transformation, while keeping its roots in place is extremely important for many of our clients, therefore, these home improvement projects will do just the trick. Best of all, they will without a doubt increase the value of your property. Need help bringing these projects to life? What about creating a design that suits the lifestyle of your family members? CHART is here to make it all come to life. Our team of craftsmen, carpenters, and interior designers can help you execute all of your home visions, and in turn, increase the overall value of your property.
You can trust CHART to keep your best interests in mind when recommending the best projects, materials, styles, layouts, and more. Whether you’re at the very beginning concept phase or already have some designs in mind, we’re here to get the job done for you with top-notch quality and craftsmanship. When beginning your home renovation projects, trust the Canadian Home and Renovation Team to make the right choices and help guide you through the process. CHART is proud to be celebrating over 40 years as one of the most prestigious renovators in the Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, and Guelph area. Contact us to begin preparing your home for renovations, home addition, or to get your custom home project started!